PhD: School of Engineering, Laurentian University
Supervisors: Dr J A Scott and Dr N Basiliko
BSc: Biology, Laurentian University
Research & Development: www.ongen.ca
- May 2016-August 2016: Remote sensing, Discovery Air, Sudbury, Canada
- May 2015-August 2015: Remote sensing, Dsicovery Air, Sudbury, Canada
- 2015: Graduate Certificate, Environmental Monitoring and Impact Assessment, Cambrian College, Canada
- Utilization of industrial emissions
- Microalgae biodiesel production
- Developing algae growth in cold climates
Publications & Presentations
- Desjardins. S.M., Laamanen, C.A., Basiliko, N. and Scott, J.A. (2021) Selection and re-acclimation of bioprospected acid-tolerant green microalgae suitable for growth at low pH. Extremophiles. 25:2, 129-141
- Laamanen, C.A., Desjardins, S.M., Senhorinho, G.N.A. and Scott, J.A. (2021) Harvesting microalgae for health beneficial dietary supplements. Algal Research (in press)
- Desjardins, S.M., Laamanen, C.A., Basiliko, N. and Scott, J.A. (2020) Utilization of lipid-extracted biomass (LEB) to improve the economic feasibility of biodiesel production from green microalgae. Environmental Reviews. 28:3, 325-338
- Desjardins,S., Quesnel, W., Muinonen, S., Laamanen, C.A., Basiliko, N. and Scott, J.A. (2019) Use of acidophilic bioprospected microalgae with industrial off-gas emissions for the production of biodiesel. 22nd Conference on Process Integration, Modelling and Optimization for Energy Saving and Pollution Reduction. Agios Nikolaos, Crete, Greece.
- Desjardins,S., Quesnel, W., Muinonen, S., Laamanen, C.A., Basiliko, N. and Scott, J.A. (2019) Bioprospecting acidophilic and acid-tolerant microalgae for the production of biodiesel. Mining and Environment International Conference. Sudbury, Canada.