PhD Graduate Student
Supervisors: Dr N Basiliko and Dr J A Scott
Research & Development: www.ongen.ca
- MSc: Microbiology, McGill University
- BSc: Biology (Microbiology specialization), University of Waterloo
- 2020: Ontario Graduate Scholarship
- 2018, 2020: Queen Elizabeth II Graduate Scholarship in Science & Technology
- 2010-2014: Dean's Honours List
- Microbial communities and processes on organic matter.
- Seasonal effects on microbial processes in wastewater treatment plants.
- Microbial community changes in engineered soils.
- Land reclamation of damaged landcapes.
- Industrial ecology and recycling organic industrial waste into useful products.
Publications & Presentations
Refereed journals, book chapters and proceedings
- Chan-Yam, K., Goordial, J., Greer, C., Davila, A., McKay, C., Whyte, L. 2019. Microbial activity and habitability of an Antarctic Dry Valley water track. Astrobiology. 19(6):757-770.
- Goordial, J., Altshuler, I., Hindson, K., Chan-Yam, K., Marcolefas, E., Whyte, L. 2017. In situ field sequencing and life detection in remote (79°26′N) Canadian High Arctic permafrost ice wedge microbial communities. Front. Microbiol. 8:2594.
- Can-Yam, K., Meyer, T., and Basiliko, N. (2020) Oral presentation: Controls on methane production from mill sludge. Annual Research Review Meeting on Effective Energy and Chemical Recovery in Pulp and Paper Mills.
- Chan-Yam, K., Lavigne, J., Hébert, M., and Basiliko, N. (2020) Oral presentation: Exploring forestry and municipal waste residuals as soil reclamation amendments in Sudbury. L-CARE Annual General Meeting.
- Chan-Yam, K., and Basiliko, N. (2019) Oral presentation: Controls on methane production from organic mill residuals. Annual Research Review Meeting on Effective Energy and Chemical Recovery in Pulp and Paper Mills.
- Chan-Yam, K., Lavigne, J., Hébert, M., and Basiliko, N. (2019) Poster presentation: Exploring forestry and municipal waste residuals as soil reclamation amendments in Sudbury, ON. Mining and the Environment International Conference Symposium.
- Chan-Yam, K., Goordial, J., Greer, C., and Whyte, L.G. (2016) Poster presentation: Characterisation of microbial communities in an Antarctic water track. 16th International Symposium on Microbial Ecology.
- Chan-Yam, K., Cong, H., Goordial, J., Riley, R., Raymond, I., Ronholm, J., Zolotarov, Y., Stromvik, M., and Whyte, L.G. (2015) Poster presentation: Characterization of Cold Adaptations of a Halo-Cryophilic Yeast. 115th annual meeting of the American Society for Microbiology.