Master Lecturer in Chemical Engineering
Bharti School of Engineering, Laurentian University
PhD: Natural Resources Engineering
BEng: Chemical Engineering
Research & Development: www.ongen.ca
- 2015-2017: NSERC Industrial Postgraduate Scholarship
- 2015-2016: Mitacs Accelerate Graduate Research Internship
- 2014: Inaugural Sudbury Integrated Nickel Operations Scholarship
- 2013-2014: Queen Elizabeth II Graduate Scholarship in Science & Technology
- 2009-2013: Deans Honour List
- 2012: NSERC Undergraduate Student Reserach Award
- 2009: Peter Barrot Scholarship
- Developing an algal production facility for northern climates
- Developing algal harvesting technologies
- Modeling bioprocess dynamics
- Sustainability performance benchmarking
Graduate program member: Engineering Science (PhD, MASc & MEng).
Refereed journals, book chapters and proceedings
- Desjardins, S.M., Laamanen, C.A., Basiliko, N., Senhorinho, G.N.A. and Scott, J.A. (2022) Dark stress for improved lipid quantity and quality in bioprospected acid-tolerant green microalgae. FEMS Microbiology Letters. 369:1, fnac057
- McLean, S.H., Chenier, J., Muinonen, S., Moreau, K., Laamanen, C.A., and Scott, J.A. (2022) A comparative life-cycle assessment of a sulphuric acid plant with and without on-site low-grade heat recovery and repurposing. International Journal of Life Cycle Assessment. 27:5, 655-664
- Fawcett, C.A., Senhorinho, G.N.A, Laamanen, C.A. and Scott. J.A. (2022) Microalgae as an alternative to oil crops for edible oils and animal feed. Algal Research, 64, 102663
- Laamanen, C.A., Moreau, K., Desjardins, S.M., McLean, S.H. and Scott, J.A. (2022) The use of microalgal sourced biodiesel to help underground mines transition to battery electric vehicles. Journal of Sustainable Mining. 31:6 1159-1167
- Moreau, K., Laamanen, C.A., Bose, R., Shang, H. and Scott, J.A. (2021) Environmental impact improvements due to introducing automation into underground copper mines. International Journal of Mining Science and Technology (in press)
- Desjardins. S.M., Laamanen, C.A., Basiliko, N. and Scott, J.A. (2021) Selection and re-acclimation of bioprospected acid-tolerant green microalgae suitable for growth at low pH. Extremophiles. 25:2, 129-141
- Laamanen, C.A., Desjardins, S.M., Senhorinho, G.N.A. and Scott, J.A. (2021) Harvesting microalgae for health beneficial dietary supplements. Algal Research. 54, 102189
- Moreau, K., Laamanen, C.A., Bose, R., Shang, H., and Scott, J.A. (2020) Life cycle assessment to demonstrate how automation improves the sustainability performance of an underground mining operation. Journal of Sustainable Mining. 19, 182-194
- McLean, S.H., Chenier, J., Muinonen, S., Laamanen, C.A., and Scott, J.A. (2020) Recovery and repurposing of thermal resources in the mining and mineral processing industry. Journal of Sustainable Mining. 19:115-125
- Desjardins, S.M., Laamanen, C.A., Basiliko, N. and Scott, J.A. (2020) Utilization of lipid-extracted biomass (LEB) to improve the economic feasibility of biodiesel production from green microalgae. Environmental Reviews. 28:3, 325-338
- McLean, S.H., Chenier, J., Muinonen, S., Laamanen, C.A., and Scott, J.A. (2020) Low-grade waste heat recovery and repurposing to reduce the load on cooling towers. Advances in Energy Research. 7:2 147-166
- Laamanen C.A. and Scott J.A. (2020) Microalgae biofuel bioreactors for mitigation of industrial CO2 emissions. In Bioreactors. Eds. Singh, L., Yousuf, Y. and Mahapatra, M. Elsevier Pub. 1-16
- Senhorinho, G.N.A., Laamanen, C. A, and Scott, J.A. (2019) New opportunities for closed mine sites: bioprospecting for antimicrobial agents. CIM Journal. 10:2, 95-101
- Senhorinho, G.N.A., Laamanen, C.A., and Scott, J.A. (2018) Bioprospecting freshwater microalgae for antibacterial activity. from water bodies associated with abandoned mine sites. Phycologia. 57:4, 432-439
- Laamanen, C.A. and Scott J.A. (2017) Development of heat-aided flocculation for flotation harvesting of microalgae. Biomass and Bioenergy. 170, 150-154
- Kennedy, A.E., Laamanen, C.A., Ross, M., Vohra, R., Scott, J.A., and Ross, G.M. (2017) Nerve growth factor inhibitor with novel binding domain demonstrates nanomolar efficacy in both cell-based and cell-free assay systems. Pharmacology Research and Perspectives. 5:5, 1-5.
- Laamanen, C.A., Shang, H., Ross, G.M., Scott, J.A. (2017) Smelter off-gas waste heat and carbon dioxide sequestration to promote production of biodiesel. CIM Journal 8(3), 1-12.
- Laamanen, C.A., Ross, G.M. and Scott, J.A. (2016) Heat-aided flocculation for flotation harvesting of microalgae. Algal Research 20: 213-217.
- Laamanen C.A., Ross GM, and Scott JA (2016) Flotation harvesting of microalgae. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 58: 75-86.
- Laamanen C.A, Shang H., Ross G.M., and Scott JA (2014) A model for utilizing industrial off-gas to support microalgae cultivation for biodiesel in cold climates. Energy Conversion and Management 88:476-483.
- Eibl J.K., Corcoran J.D., Senhorinho G.N.A., Zhang K., Hosseini N.S., Marsden J., Laamanen C.A., Scott J.A., and Ross GM (2014) Bioprospecting for acidophilic lipid-rich green microalgae isolated from abandoned mine site water bodies. AMB Express 4:7.
- Hosseini N.S., Laamanen C.A., Shang H., Ross G.M., and Scott J.A. (2016) Oral presentation: A high rate top-lit gas-lift open microalgae bioreactor that can utilize industrial off-gas to enhance productivity and allow a reduced footprint. 24th European Biomass Conference & Exhibition.
- Laamanen C.A., Muinonen S., Shang H., Ross G.M., and Scott J.A. (2016) Poster presentation: Microalgae production for biodiesel in cold climates through utilization of industrial waste heat and CO2 emissions. 24th European Biomass Conference & Exhibition.
- Laamanen C.A., Muinonen S., Shang H., Ross G.M., and Scott J.A. (2015) Oral presentation: Year-round production of microalgae for biodiesel supported by waste industrial CO2 and heat emissions. 12th World Congress on Industrial Biotechnology.
- Laamanen C.A., Muinonen S., Shang H., Ross G.M., and Scott J.A. (2015) Poster presentation: The use of smelter off-gas heat and CO2 to support microalgal production of clean burning biodiesel. 2015 Mining and the Environment Conference.
- Laamanen C.A., Muinonen S., Loken M.R., Shang H., Ross G.M., and Scott J.A. (2014) Oral presentation: Utilizing nickel smelter off-gas to support year-round microalgae cultivation for biodiesel in cold climates. 64th Canadian Chemical Engineering Conference.